Monday, August 1, 2011

Girls Night Out

I was long overdue for a night out with the girls, and finally got the chance this weekend.  It was a great time once I made it there, but getting out of the house was a bit more challenging than it used to  be.

Photo by Photostock/FreeDigitalPhotos.net


I had forgotten how much work it takes to get this 40 year old body and face ready (please refer to prior posts for description..), and in my life there is just not room for careful planning of anything, but I gave it my best.

While the kids entertained themselves with a workout DVD (yeah, I know, I should have joined them...) I at least got the shower and shave done.  Then off to the baby sitter with the kids.

While driving, I looked at my nails and desperately wished there would have been time for a manicure...a quick look on the floor, and a pedicure would have been nice too.  Too late. A quick fix with an emery board was all I had time for.  But first make up and hair.

Surprisingly quite pleased with the outcome, I went to the closet trying to find anything that was not completely outdated.With 95 degrees and 200% humidity outside, I figured a dress would be nice.  Found one I liked and pulled it on (elastic is a beautiful thing!!), put on sandals to match (did I mention the 5" heals to put the butt back in place?), and stood in front of the mirror. Actually not bad! At least not until I looked at my legs and noticed the big cut on my leg revealed.  I should probably come up with a good cover story for that one, but truth is, I misjudged the size of my bed, and instead of plopping down on my pillow, I flew off the bed, crashed into my bookshelf and kicked a chair causing everything to fall off the chair and burying myself on the floor.  And I wasn't even drinking...


Anyway, the cut was not very attractive, so I searched the house for a discreet looking band aid.  Lucky me, the only ones I could find were covered with cartoon characters - not exactly the look I was going for. Back in the closet I went looking for jeans this time.  Running out of time, I took the first ones that fit and grabbed some tops.  Now, I'm not fat.  Frankly I'm not too far from underweight. Then how is it possible to have anything form a roll?  Apparently as I got older, the bones shrunk and everything else turned mushy. It's like I'm made up of chicken bones covered in fat. It's truly a challenge to make that look like a fit body.

Finally dressed and almost done, I poured a glass of wine, turned on music and sat down to fix the nails, just to discover some hairs on my hands.  Is it really necessary for hair to grow everywhere before we start losing it all?  Well, they were not staying, so I dug in the bathroom and found a hair removal cream and poured half the tube on to my hands. After setting the kitchen timer, I went back to my wine.

Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net


Ten minutes to enjoy my wine, then wash off the hands and I would  be done. Or so I thought.  While sitting there singing along with the music and enjoying my wine, my head felt itchy (half a bottle of hair spray will do that...), and without thinking, I scratched. Realizing that my head was now covered in hair removal cream, I ran screaming back to the bathroom.  Envisioning bald spots on my head, I jumped in the shower and scrubbed.  It was an emergency. Who had time to take the clothes off?  Saved the hair, that was the good thing.  But with 10 minutes to go, I was yet again freshly showered,  now with a wet outfit, and no makeup.  I wonder if these kind of episodes is what created "fashionably late"?

Drinking from the bottle at this time, I started the process all over, thankful that all the others were also 40+ and probably ran in to some problems of their own while getting ready....maybe not hair removal cream, but normal problems.  They did. We were all fashionably late.  Wonder what their excuse was?

No comments: