Tuesday, August 30, 2011

The Power of Music

I love music - all forms of it; on the radio, in concerts, in theater, musicals, dance performances, and church, not to mention my own singing performances in the shower...  Not only is music great on its own, but it enhances our experiences with any other form of art. What I think most fail to realize, is how powerful music can be.

When I say powerful, I truly mean "change someones life - powerful".

Photo by Renjith Krishnan/FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 Take gospel for example.  How much pain and suffering is not released in that music form? But at the same time, it is filled with messages of hope. I can't think of anything more moving, than a gospel choir filling a room with their voices.

At my friend's suggestion, I watched a segment of 60 Minutes telling the story of Vy Higginson and her Gospel for Teen ensemble.  Not only do they sound wonderful, but the stories behind these kids are often heart breaking.  Watching how the music and the sense of belonging changed how they feel about themselves, well, that just made me all teary eyed. You can find their story here.

The choir's theme song is "How Could Anyone Ever Tell You You Were Anything Less than Beautiful".  Here by Shaina Noll, but follow the lyrics and imagine how singing this could make you feel.




Watching America's Got Talent last week, Daniel Joseph Baker spoke very openly about his difficulties prior to the show; about not fitting in, believing the bullies and thinking of himself as a freak, but finding solace in his music.  Now of course, he is receiving the recognition he deserves for his talent, and finally being accepted.   Another contestant, Lys Agnes is also blossoming in this competition, and is certainly "getting her music back". It is quite visible how the music makes them come alive on stage, as we have seen with so many contestants over the years.

But one doesn't need to be a performer to enjoy and reap the benefits of music.  Listening to it alone can help change ones mood or attitude. Soft music makes a candlelight dinner even more romantic. Some music instantly removes all tension and helps us truly relax; other songs will pump us up and get us going. There is a reason music is used at sporting events, at professional events, in restaurants and bars, at medical offices and in spas.  It simply sets the mood.

Photo by Salvatore Vuono/FreeDigitalPhotos.net
 Let's end this with a word about dancing.   I don't care how old I get, I will always like to dance.  I might not be as good as I think I am, but that doesn't stop me.  Ever since I danced in a folk dance group as a child, which by the way was really fun, I have enjoyed dancing.  And as new movies and TV shows (FAME was my absolute favorite!) came along, we practiced at home before taking it on the dance floor, hoping to one day be able to perform our own flash dance, or at least do a dirty dance with someone as handsome and as good of a dancer as Patrick Swayze. Then came Dancing With The Stars, and all of a sudden ballroom dancing was a big hit. However, it wasn't until I heard of the Dulaine Method in the movie Take the Lead, that I envisioned ballroom dancing as a means of changing young people's lives.

Pierre Dulaine brought ballroom dancing to inner city schools in 1994. The concept of  helping children develop social skills they will need as adults through dance, has since multiplied within the US, Canada and Europe.  According to their website, 42,000 children in 509 schools in 23 cities benefited from the program last school year, and it continues to grow.  The idea of the program? " Dancing Classrooms is not about teaching ballroom dancing. The dance is a tool for getting the children to break down social barriers, learn about honor and respect, treat others carefully, improve self-confidence, communicate and cooperate, and accept others even if they are different."

Here is the innovative tango danced by three of the students in the movie (my absolute favorite!!)  Enjoy. It might inspire you too to take a few steps on the floor: 


No comments: