Friday, June 10, 2011

Sex in the Digital Age - No Human Contact Needed?

If you are my age or older, you certainly remember the times before computers and cellphones.  Seems like ancient history, doesn't it?  And judging by how we all have a need to always be reachable, either via email, social media or phone, and feel almost naked without our cellphones, I sometimes wonder how we ever got by without all our gadgets.  I won't say it was the "good ol' days", but it certainly was a much simpler time.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy my gadgets, staying in touch with friends and family who are now scattered not only across the country, but all over the world.  Texting seems so much easier than actually talking,especially when you just have met, and I will admit I write things in a text that I wold never say out loud, and suspect I'm not the only one.

However, I still enjoy human contact.  I want to be surrounded by, talk to, text with, chat with, email with REAL people.  That apparently is not an idea shared by everyone.

Yahoo News reports that advances in artificial intelligence, now allows for virtual girlfriends/boyfriends and spouses, and that apparently the group of people interested in such is growing. Sherry Turkle, director of MIT's Initiative on Society and Self said to Innovation News Daily:  "I did find people who were interested in artificial boyfriends and girlfriends, in artificial spouses,". "They were not being ironic. They felt that people had failed them. And that a robot would be a safe choice."


Photo by Luigi Diamanti/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

In Japan, virtual girlfriends and boyfriends are abound, and are enjoying popularity since its release in 2009. Apparently they also have resorts dedicated to "vacations" with the virtual partners!?!  


I'm quite speechless....No I'm not.  This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard.  Technology is meant to assist us, not replace our real life.  Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems the younger generation are starting to lack some of the social skills we took for granted. They are less apt to speak to each other, and rather chat online or text.  That is one thing, but if that leads to substituting a real life partner for a virtual one, I would say we're in trouble, don't you agree?  Where on earth is the pleasure in that?  


Obviously with the sex-phone lines and on-line chats that provide the "dirty talk" that are available today, I understand that aspect of a virtual partner being "fun" or interesting. But if we have gotten to a point where we no longer see the need for a real life person to share our lives with, and instead will settle for a fantasy, something is seriously wrong with our society. 


Photo by Photostock/FreeDigitalPhotos.net

When I think of what I like about being in a relationship, the physical presence is too important for me to ever fathom how  "dating" a virtual person could ever be satisfying, and I'm not talking about sex.  The hugs and kisses, or just a peck on the cheek. Cuddling. Waking up next to the person you love. Holding hands while strolling down the street. Sharing a laugh, or having a shoulder to cry on.  Having arguments, and making up. All those things that make a relationship real.  I don't care how "artificially intelligent" a virtual boyfriend/girlfriend can be, they can never provide those things. So how can that be satisfying for anyone?



Didn't I already say in an earlier post that our kissing averages were way too low?  Well, here's the problem.  So get off the computer and be with real people!!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: