Tuesday, December 21, 2010

I Believe!

It's that time of year!  I love Christmas with a passion!  I love decorating. I love finding the perfect gifts for friends, family and my kids. I love all the lights and decorations around the neighbourhood - even the tacky ones.  We laugh and say, "it's not Christmas until the snowman on the motorcycle is on top of the motor home", and long behold, when he was not in place this year, it didn't quite feel like Christmas until they did put him up.  I even love the masses of people in the malls.  Not so much hunting for a parking spot, but once inside, I love the business of the malls.. But what I love most, is what the Holiday times do to people.

I don't actually believe in Santa Claus - although I will admit that when I took my kids to Macy's to write their letter to Santa, I wrote one too....and my list got quite long, and it was as if I was 7 again (with the wishes of a much older girl) I totally got caught up in the moment.  And that is exactly what I love about this time of year.  As we hustle and bustle around town trying to be the perfect mom, wife, friend - whatever, the Holiday Spirit is still spreading.

My purse might be empty, but I will dig for that last dollar to give to a homeless man or a charity at the traffic light.  I will open the door for strangers, smile at screaming kids in the store, and feel compassion for the mothers toting them around town. I strike up conversations with total strangers in the store to get their input on my choice of color or style when buying gifts, and have had the same thing happen to me several times. It is like we are all out to  be the best givers, and getting some help from strangers is all of a sudden OK.

I feel total contentment in watching little kids going to see Santa with their biggest wishes for the year. The magic of their belief is so powerful, and adds such excitement to the Season. As we adults watch them, it is as if some of their magic spreads to us too.

My kids will have a fabulous Christmas, and get much more then they need.  But in the midst of them wishing for and wanting new toys, they too see the joy of giving.  And the only thing more precious than a home made gift from a child, with a self made and written card to go with it, is his proud look when presenting the gift, and the joy that spreads on his face when you love it!. That to me, sums up the meaning of the Holidays. 

It doesn't matter if you celebrate Christmas, Hanukkah or Kwanzaa.  We all celebrate miracles.  Even if you don't believe in anything "unearthly", you are still celebrating the miracle of your family.  So as we finish our last minute shopping, cleaning, decorating and cooking - I hope you all keep the image of that proud young child in your mind.  Let that teach us all that Giving is the greatest gift of all.

No comments: