Thursday, September 1, 2011

Hockey Family Gets $50,000 Lesson in Honesty

OK, I'm not a hockey fan, but what a shot this kid made, winning $50,000 - or so they thought:


Money is obviously not everything, and the kid's dad brought us a lesson in honesty.  For $50,000, I am not sure I would have been honest enough to reveal that it was the wrong twin that took the shot,  but Pat Smith did.

According to MSNBC, the insurance company that insured the event has decided the family will not get the money, but that the prize instead will be given to two charitable organization.  Pat Smith said, "I think they  learned that honesty is always the best policy, and you can never go wrong telling the truth.’’ I applaud him, he is a better person than me. 

Even the son is gracious about it: “It feels bad (not to win the money), said Nate, "but I’m happy that they at least gave something so all the other kids can still play and get gear they can’t afford.’’

Telling the truth also earned the boys scholarships to the summer program at Shattuck-St. Mary’s School, an elite boarding school that hosts one of the top programs in the nation, so if for nothing else, they probably will have a winning season!

No comments: