Sunday, May 22, 2011

When Will I Ever Learn To Shut Up?

I consider myself a fairly intelligent and capable woman, and although I wouldn't quite say my life is completely in order right now, I still think I have it together. So why then is it that the connection between brain and mouth consistently seems to dysfunction?  Somehow I at times appoint myself as counselor for everyone I know, and blurt out exactly what I think, whether appropriate or not.... Oh my!  

The fact that we have one mouth and two ears for a reason, has obviously never quite registered with me.  Nor the fact that my opinions may not necessarily be welcome; especially when I have opinions about things and situations that have absolutely nothing to do with me. No, no. I still blurt out my "advice" like I actually have expert input to give. The worst part is I often wonder why they don't follow my advice when it is so "obvious" that I am right....

Photo by photostock/freedigitalphotos.net


So it took a while, but I finally caught on.  No more advice unless asked for.  No more opinions unless solicited. And certainly no more late night chats - I apparently turn in to the true psychic at that time of the  day. This week, I will learn to shut up.  As they say, silence is golden  (and duct tape is silver... ).

Have a great week!

No comments: