Monday, May 9, 2011

Communication Or Lack Thereof

Feeling just a little misunderstood today. Lesson learned this weekend was, don't ask questions you're not prepared to get the answer to, and most certainly do not ask the question to someone who is honest. Sometimes illusions and little white lies are just so much nicer than the truth. 
Photo by Idea Go/freedigitalphotos.net

 In my apparent imaginary world, everybody sees me for who I really am, they see the true me, know how I feel about different issues, what makes me tick, and what's important in my life. When I'm sad, they lend a shoulder to cry on, and when I'm happy, they share in my joy. Oh, how it sucks to find out that to one you trusted and found worthy of seeing the vulnerable part of you; to one who got to really know your heart, you are nothing more than a bad fantasy.

Guess this is where we are supposed to live and learn, and move on. I however, seem to be unable to distinguish between the ones who are worthy of getting to know me; the real me, and those who should be allowed to just pass through my life. Hence I keep repeating the lesson.

It's not that I can't let go of people.  Some are meant to just be in your life for a brief moment.  It's easy to recognize those, and it's OK when they leave. Others become long term, and sometimes lifelong friends. Months, even years of little or no contact, cannot ruin those friendships. Usually because you truly know, and care about each other, and their well being.   Then there are all those in between. That's where the trouble is, and where I keep having to repeat the lessons that should already be learned.
Photo by Photostock/freedigitalphotos.net

I always thought I was such a great communicator. I love meeting new people, have opinions on most topics and usually don't run out of things to talk about. It seems to work with women.  With men on the other hand, there must be a huge disconnect between what I say and what they hear. I feel like that cartoon character with the bubble that only says "blah, blah, blah, blah". Am I really that hard to understand?  Or maybe I'm just blinding them with my good looks? (OK, I'm working on self esteem issues...but even I don't buy that one!) I looked in the mirror, but I can't see that sign they see either. The one that apparently says I'd like to hear whatever inner desire they may have...God, I need a Rosetta Stone class in body language!  Maybe one in texting too, when I think about it.

Oh well, moving right along.  New week, new opportunities, and I think this week, I will speak exclusively to women.  We speak the same language. 

No comments: