Monday, January 16, 2012

Keep the Dream Alive

Martin Luther King Jr. said "discrimination is a hell-hound that gnaws at Negroes in every waking moment of their lives to remind them that the lie of their inferiority is accepted as truth in the society dominating them."  Sadly, over 40 years after his death, I believe many still feel discriminated against in their every day life. Obviously we have seen great improvement from 1968, but we seem to still have a long way to go. 

Growing up in Europe, with American movies and books as my only reference to the current American society, I saw this country as the true melting pot of every color and culture.  I truly believed that racism was a part of this country's past, and was utterly amazed to see how segregated this country still was - not by law, but, I guess, rather by choice, when I arrived here as a teenager. What amazes me even more, is the intense awareness of their color and race so many children seem to be brought up with, even today. Don't get me wrong - I too think ones heritage is important, and something one should be proud of; however, there are many things I find much more essential to teach young children. 

My experience is, that children will not even notice the color of one's skin unless they have been taught to do so. They will describe people by their eye color, hair and height/weight without ever mentioning the color of the skin.  Maybe if we stop teaching the children so much about our differences, they will grow up seeing everyone as equals...just a thought. 

More important though, I find it is long overdue that some words are eliminated from our language. The N-word is on the top of my list.  Get rid of it! Stop using it!  I don't care what color you are, it is not and never will be a good or endearing word, no matter which way it is spelled. Not in every day speech, not in a rap song (or any other song), not anywhere.  Don't take it from me, but please listen carefully to what young Jonathan McCoy said.  Over a million people watched the video of him deliver his speech to the congregation at his church; hopefully the other 306 million in this country will follow suit. 


I wholeheartedly agree with young McCoy, and had Dr. King Jr. been alive, I am certain he would too!

No comments: