Friday, November 4, 2011

Keep the Braincells Working

Obviously I think I am much too young to be talking about loosing my memory and letting my braincells go to waste, but to be certain that doesn't happen, I am starting a "brain training" program.  If I am going to "transform myself to fabulous", the brain better be in tip top shape as well.

Photo by Salvatore Vuono/FreeDigitalPhotos.net


....now where was I? Oh yes, apparently exercising the braincells, will not only help our mental focus as we get older, but can also help improve our basic cognitive skills.  I have always enjoyed brainteasers, IQ tests etc., but considering my IQ had declined by 4 points since I got my Facebook account (according to the IQ test on Facebook - I know...very scientific proof...on the other hand, I'm convinced spending too much time on Facebook will do that to you), I figure it's time to start a little braincell boot camp too.  I enjoy playing chess against the computer, which is a pretty good strategy exercise. Problem is, I can't seem to get good enough to beat the doggone thing without using the "undo" button. Obviously something to work on...but for now, I'll be happy with a win even if I have to redo half my game.

After searching for websites where I can "exercise my brain", I picked two sites to try - Lumosity and Brainmetrix. So today I have been clicking on birds, collecting pieces for puzzles, matching squares from previous pictures and completed "speed training"...I got a score, but have no idea if it was good or bad, or if I'm where I should be according to my age or not, but at least now I have something to compare to, and just in case they are really bad, I will keep my scores private. Frankly I'm a little afraid to find out exactly what they mean...it would be really depressing if my braincells are working at the speed of an average 60 year old...

Maybe if I ever catch up on sleep, it will be just a little bit easier to focus (and why don't they ask that as a beginning question?). I started a brain creativity teaser too, but after reading the instructions three times and still not being clear on what I was supposed to do, I figure I'll leave that for tomorrow....after a good night sleep.

2 comments:

BeEr said...

Would you like to play some online chess against each other?

Ms. Pink said...

Oh my, I'm afraid that would just be embarrassing....but what site do you play on?