Monday, November 28, 2011

Live Today, You Never Know What Tomorrow Will Bring

Although I might be a very loud (and yes, some times obnoxious) soccer mom, I am not a big soccer fan.  The only player over the age of 12 that I know the name of, is David Beckham, and no, it was not his soccer skills that drew my attention.  Nonetheless, this article about Wales Manager Gary Speed drew my attention.

According to Fox News, Gary Speed was found dead in his home yesterday morning, at the age of 42. As I am sitting there smoking a cigarette, still feeling a bit stuffed from overeating the entire weekend, I am reading about the former Leeds and Newcastle United player, who by the looks of his pictures, looked to be in great shape, but still died suddenly at the age of 42.

So I promptly put out my cigarette.  Took a couple of deep breaths to make sure oxygen was flowing properly and the heart was beating normally....it was, but reading stories like this makes me wonder if I truly am just mid-life.  One would think well trained men like Mr. Speed would live a long, health and happy life, yet his ended abruptly at such a young age, as have so many others.

I finished reading the article, and besides his career accomplishments, what struck me was the descriptions of Mr. Speed's character. He is described as a great team mate and friend, a star in the true sense and a well balanced, lovely and genuine person.  It shines through that those who knew him, truly loved him.  So after finishing the article, I thought "he did it right".  He was a good, genuine person. He accomplished a lot career wise, but will probably be remembered more for who he was and how he lived his life. 
Photo by Markuso/FreeDigitialPhotos.net

Isn't that really all we can expect?  We don't know what tomorrow will bring, or if we even get a tomorrow. So should we not make sure that every day counts? Would it not be worthwhile to spread some joy, while living life to the fullest and truly enjoying what we have, not just materialistically, but more importantly our friends and family?  I guess the big question is, how do you want to be remembered?  Figure that out and live your life accordingly.

Have a blessed week!

No comments: