Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Embrace your Freedom!

I have decided to change my focus in life a bit.  No matter how bad or tough I think my life is, I don't have to look very far to see others who have it much worse.  So this week I am finding ways we all can help those less fortunate, and projects that  I believe deserve mentioning.

Even though we ended slavery here in the 1800's, human trafficking is still a huge problem, and slavery is alive and well both here and in the rest of the world.  We see it in prostitution, in the mining industry, the garment industry, in electronic manufacturing, the fishing industry and I am sure many others.

Prostitution rings should be the easy one to fight - without demand there is no need for supply. Sadly, the oldest profession seems to have plenty of demand, not only for women, but also for children.  Cheap labor and maximum profits seem to fuel the practice of slavery in the other industries.



CNN is running an ongoing series on modern day slavery; The CNN Freedom Project.  I encourage you all to take some time to read these articles and watch some of the videos.  Afterwards I hope you will join the many who fight this epidemic on a daily basis.  You can find ways you can help fight slavery here.

Have a blessed day and embrace your freedom!

No comments: