Monday, December 12, 2011

If I'm Rich and Successful, You're Too Old!

Here I was regaining faith in men, and their ability to see beyond looks; thinking they, as most women do, are seeking a full partner to share their lives with. And then while hanging out with friends and their friends, this guy tells the story of him and his friends going out for lunch, and him making the remark that "if my business takes off now, and I strike it rich, you will be too old to be my friends". What?  He goes on to say that (even though he is in his mid-forties), if he had the money, he would live it up with the 24 and younger crowd...I thought he was kidding, but he made it quite clear he was not, and all I could think, was "what a sad example of a man..."


What on earth would be fulfilling about hanging out with a crowd of people 20 years younger?  Would you really want to be known as the "old guy"?  I get that 24 year old women most often have a much better body, and of course look younger than the 40+ crowd, but I just don't understand how not having anything in common could make for a good match. I could see excitement for about a week or so before it would get boring and then annoying....young, pretty girl and much older, not so attractive man...yep, he must have money...why not go for a healthy, good looking, well established woman closer to your own age?  First of all, you'd avoid all the stigma surrounding dating the much younger women, second, it might actually evolve to a real relationship, and third, she would probably not date you just for your money. I told the guy this, but he didn't care.  Good looking 24 year old, that's the dream...
Please tell me this one was the odd one out, and not the norm when it comes to the 40+ men? I know women too date younger men, but the term "sugar daddy" is much more widely used than "sugar mama"... yes I know, older women would be considered a cougar regardless of whether she had money or not. My point is, I have never heard a woman make the statement that if she was wealthy, she would date younger men.  

For me, the cutoff on a man's age, is when I want to lie about my own age.  I am usually the proud "40+ and fabulous",  but having gone out with a certain someone whom I knew was younger, just not how much younger, I found myself totally eluding the answer to the age question. He knows I am older than him, and doesn't care. I on the other hand would be stuck on "I'm 30 something" until he caught up to my age...It doesn't really matter how cute or nice he is, or how much money or success career wise, I might have. If it makes me lie about something so basic as my age, he is too young! 

So here's to the 40+ crowd.  Self confident, successful (or getting there), sure of themselves and their beliefs, sexy (yes we are!), and fabulous.  That's who I want to mingle with, whether poor or rich.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

What a loser! Like you say it IS the dream of many older men but once they have it I think they will get bored easy. F*ck em. There are real men out there, real good wholesome guys!

Ms. Pink said...

Tell 'em like it is, Åsa :-)