Sunday, February 12, 2012

Dream as if You Will Live Forever, Live as if You Will Die Tomorrow

As the music industry, and us fans, saw yet another great performer die much too young, I, as  I expect many others did, took a close look at my own life, my own accomplishments - or lack thereof, and thought; "what if I died tomorrow?  How would I be remembered? And how fast would I be forgotten?"



Whitney Houston, in my opinion, the best female singer in our generation, leaves the legacy of her music behind.  For a while, she seemed to have it all, until drug addiction and her turbulent marriage to Bobby Brown seemed to take over the headlines. The pitfall of fame, perhaps?  The seemingly happy, vibrant star we had watched for years, all of a sudden strung out on drugs, behaving strangely and unable to sing. It was so sad!  On the other hand, it was very nice to see her make a comeback in 2009 and yet again be entertained by her incredible voice.  I pictured last night, how she now sings in Heaven....the angels will never again sound the same.  I hope they will enjoy her voice as much as we did!

Gone at 48.  That is just a few years away for me.  I certainly haven't sold 55 million records (not even 1!), made millions of dollars, or really done any other "big thing", that anyone outside of my family will ever know of, or remember me for.   Most of us wont.  Most of us will leave this world with just our immediate community knowing, or caring, that we are no longer amongst the living.  It is when they don't care, we may consider we have failed.


It is in our every day living we create our legacy.  Amongst the people that we care about most. We don't have to do big things in life to leave cherished memories. We just have to live.

No comments: