Monday, June 11, 2012

Keeping the Faith

After having a bit of a downer day today, I ran across a very enlightening article.  Funny how that is; when you need it the most, someone you have never even heard of, says exactly what you needed to hear. 

I classify myself as Christian, but think I have my own quite free interpretation of the Bible. I believe in God, and although I don't attend church on a regular basis, I am very spiritual, and also a true believer in Karma.  Therefore, I do my best to live by the Golden Rule, and treat others how I want to be treated. So then everything should be good, right?  No, not so much.  

In a recent phone conversation (read argument) with my ex, he told me "Karma's a bitch", and I kinda laughed at it,  and told my friends that he should be the one worried, not me. Well, things haven't exactly gone as planned around here, and I have questioned why, when I try so hard to  be good, do bad things happen?

That is exactly what this article spoke about. It referred to the Book of Job in the Bible; the story of Job, who is a righteous and very prosperous man. He does everything according to the book, but as his character and faith in God is being tested; he loses all his possessions, his children are killed, and he is left with nothing. Yet he does not curse God. Instead he endures every test, and still praises the Lord. In the end, Job's health is restored, and he gets a second family and twice the amount of live stock (the story, which I had heard, but never read before, was actually a good read). 

My first thought was that this story was written to show that no matter how bad your situation is, someone else is worse off. But that is not the point.  There will always be someone who has less or endures more pain or hardship than I ever will. The question is, can I keep my integrity in tact even during hard times? Can I find something to be appreciative of, and trust in God even when my life seems to be falling completely apart? And, can I find that certainty in my heart, that living by the Golden Rule, in the end, will always pay off? That's the hard one. There has been quite a few why's and what's coming out of my mouth lately.  "Why does this happen to me?"  "Why can't I seem to get it together to succeed?" "What have I done to deserve this?" "Why can't things ever go the way they are supposed to?" and so on and so forth.

Photo by FreeDigitalPhotos.net
The article answered those questions by going back to Job.  How no matter what happened, his integrity remained in tact, and he continued to stand up for his rights through it all.  As must we do.  Loosely translated it said, "Every day, man must stand up and fight against their own debasement. When it is at the darkest, we see it best.  In the night a new day is created."

I have learned not to ask "could it get any worse?" because time and time again, the answer has been a loud and clear "yes".  However, there is not a whole lot more walls to tear down around here, and I am praying that this is "the darkest".  It is time to create a new day.

No comments: