Thursday, May 10, 2012

Obama's Political Gamble

I think the news of President Obama fully endorsing gay marriage, and thus showing that he believes every American should have the right to marry their partner, is great. However, where gay marriage is no longer an issue in many other western countries, it may not be the smartest political move in America. Time will show. 

Most certainly, he has guaranteed that social issues will be a part of the political campaign going forward. An honestly, I think we should all welcome that.  With such blatant attacks on established women's rights as we have seen this year, I love that this is now an added issue for the politicians to discuss and defend or oppose.  


If you have followed my blog, you probably know by now that I am a liberal to the core.  That doesn't mean I think anyone should just be given handouts without having to contribute. No, quite contrary, I believe that we all have the ability to work as hard as we need to, to take care of ourselves. However, the last few years have not been easy for many. And where we have bailed out banks and automobile companies, I certainly also think that individuals needs to be extended the same courtesy - obviously within given criteria.  In a rich (and even a not so rich) society, I believe we need to learn to take care of each other.  Healthcare and handouts aside though, the very least we all should have, in my opinion, are equal rights.  Marriage included.  Someone said, "If you oppose gay marriage, tell straight people to stop having gay kids".  And really, what is it that is so scary about allowing two people who love each other to get married? 

A friend of mine posted about this on his Facebook page, and I thought he said it much better than I could, so let me end with his words: 

"What I think Obama *should* say on gay marriage: This is a moot argument. Marriage is a religious institution, and we have separations of church and state for very good reasons. If a church doesn't want to marry a gay couple, that's their prerogative. You should try to find a church that does. But the state shall not and will not discriminate against someone because of whom they choose to cohabit. Civil union partners are spouses and they deserve the opportunity to share in whatever benefits we provide to "married" couples. It's not a matter of being for or against someone making a commitment, it's about defending the rights of every American to enjoy every opportunity this great country provides."

No comments: