Sunday, January 30, 2011

R-E-S-P-E-C-T

I don't care that I am not rich and famous, hold a important position in  large corporation or otherwise have a big impact on the outcome of today's worldly activities.  I am happy being who I am.  I make decent wages, I am a good mother, I am a good friend, sister and daughter (still struggling a bit with the "good girlfriend", but we'll get there).. I am lucky to have great friends and family, and although more money would always be welcome; power or fame is not something that appeals to me.

However, I do expect to be respected for who I am and what I do.  I am too old to take people's crap because they think I should! I was born with a big mouth, so when I think about it,  I have never really been good at taking any one's crap.

Ask nicely, and I will help you. Show some empathy for others, and  I will be understanding of your difficulties. Listen to other people's thoughts and ideas, and I will hear what you have to say. Treat me good, and I will work hard for you.  But I refuse to be any body's scapegoat, to be talked down to or bossed around.  I will not do an ounce of work for any ass who thinks "they're all that" because of a title.

Some of the most gracious people I have met in my life have been the higher ups in large corporation.  They all had two things in common - they had high expectations of themselves and all who worked with or for them, but they also made people around them feel capable and empowered. Isn't that a funny thing?

So I'm not exactly looking for the same respect as Aretha was, but felt the need to spell out the word nonetheless.  I said before that respect is earned, and that is true for ourselves too.  Respect yourself and live up to your own expectations, and the respect of others will soon follow.

No comments: